Sunday, October 1, 2017

God extends mercy to those we'd least suspect to show us the way – Matt 21:28-32

Twenty-sixth Sunday of OT, Year C; Holy Infant parish.

“Tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you.”  What would be your reaction to that?  Imagine you’re a chief priest, you’re standing in the Temple, your home base, the place you feel most grounded in the presence of the God who called you into his service, into leadership in his service, and this odd, homeless, wandering preaching who had just shown up in Jerusalem to great acclaim from the people has the nerve to say to you: “Tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you.”  I’m sure we can imagine various responses, and, knowing how the story ends, we know that their reaction culminated in plotting to have this wandering preacher killed.  I think the first thing we should notice is that if someone else is entering the kingdom before us, then we’re entering the kingdom! And maybe if I was a better person, I’d be entirely fine with that. But, I do have to admit that I think in their shoes, I’d feel a little stung by Jesus’ throwing shade. I think there’s somewhere that sting is meant to lead us. I don’t think we’re meant to just concentrate on the fact that we’re en route to the kingdom of heaven and ignore the tax collectors and prostitutes ahead of us that cause that sting. But the response to them is to convert that sting into gratitude.  Gratitude followed by conversion of heart.


Gratitude to God, and gratitude to the tax collectors and prostitutes.  Gratitude to them, because they’re the ones showing us the way to the kingdom of God.  Or, one might put it better: gratitude to them, because they’re the ones in whom God is showing us the way to the kingdom.  To those who are entering the kingdom before us, we can say nothing but: “thank you, thank you for heading up this pilgrimage we’re at the tail end of, for beating through some of the brush so that the path is that much clearer for us.”  Because all of us have a long way to go before we can live wholly and holily with each other and with God for ever in heaven, and to show us the way of turning from sin, of shedding the dirt that clings to us and walking into His loving embrace, God gives us the witness of those who have far to go in ways that are easier for us to see, whose dirt is smellier to our noses who are numb to the smell of our own sin, and who turn, and start walking, in order that we may follow.  Conversely, when we experience great mercy, great forgiveness, turn from some great sin we find in ourselves, that forgiveness is never given just for us: forgiveness and conversion are intensely personal, but never private, they’re always intended for the whole church, that God’s extension of mercy to us might be a guidepost for all who seek to sojourn with us.


I know a few people entering the kingdom of God before me.  Before entering seminary, I was a teacher working inside San Quentin State prison.  The spirit of conversion I encountered within those walls was amazing… quite literally, it amazed me.  I saw men doing so much to turn their lives around that it forced me to ask the question: what am I being called to do in my life, what’s the conversion, the turning from sin, the growth in virtue that this experience, these relationships, should be occasioning in me?  At the same time, they were bringing more than just math problems to me. A need to talk to someone who’d listen, fears, worries, anxieties, hopes, dreams, the occasional joy. It felt entirely right to me to be there as their listening ear, but something inside me tugged that I needed to be present to them in a different way. When I got the courage to share these tuggings with trusted friends who asked me what a “different way” might look like, my imagining, my dreaming, always turned to the healing sacraments. My answer, I came to realize, had to involve discerning priesthood and religious life.  But, more and more, I’ve realized our answer has to involve growing and deepening our discipleship.  As I continue my walk towards the kingdom, I’m forever grateful for the gang-bangers, drug pushers and armed robbers, turned apprentice geometers learning together with me, who are entering before me, and showing me the way.

So, the question we’re left with is, who is it we’re prone to ignore, who is it we don’t think God could show us sanctity in? And whoever we think of first is probably whoever someone else ignores, but we don’t, precisely because we thought of them first. I’d like to leave that as a ponder question. Where is God’s grace most clearly disclosed in the lives of those around us? Because, that’s probably how God’s going to lead us home.





No comments:

Post a Comment