Friday, July 13, 2012

God heals us of our idolatry – Hosea 14:2-10.

Friday of the 14th week of Ordinary Time; St. Joseph Parish.

We’re very used to making deals, we’ve probably been doing it since we were kids.  “So, if I were to eat two of my brussel sprouts, what would the chances be of some ice cream?”

It’s very easy to see our first reading from Hosea as just such a deal, offered by an Israelite prophet to God: “So, if I get rid of these idols, and make some burnt offerings, how about making us prosper and bear fruit like a mighty tree?”  It sounds almost ridiculous, but I think that’s often how we think about our relationship with God.  If I work hard, offer enough up, eat enough brussel sprouts, God will have to repay me somehow.


God never has to.  You can’t buy healing.  You can’t bargain with Love.  All is grace. 

We can recognize our sin; we can lament our sin; we can dream of life without it.  We can’t turn from it under our own steam.  “‘I will heal their defection,’ says the Lord, ‘I will love them freely.’”

As God’s healing rains down on us, we’ll look at our idols, the work of our hands, and say, “Why did I ever call this ‘god’?” All that I’ve ‘done,’ this is God’s fruit blossoming through me as a branch.  I can’t but lift up to Him, an offering of what He gave through my hands.”

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation, for through your goodness we have received the bread we offer you: fruit of the earth and work of human hands, it will become for us the bread of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment