Sunday, June 14, 2015

God gives surprising growth – Mark 4:26-34, Ezek 17:22-24

11th Sunday of Ordinary Time; last Masses at Holy Cross and St. Stanislaus parishes!

For some reason that right now escapes me, I thought it would work fine to have this past week be my last at the parish, and then move to Notre Dame and start summer school on Monday.  So, the past week has been an odd mix of packing, moving and unpacking, physically as well as trying to wrap up projects or at least package them neatly enough that they could be handed over, to another member of our pastoral team, a parishioner, or just offered up to God.  Apart from my formal teaching in the school, which wrapped up nicely, so many of my ‘projects’ here are in fact people’s lives, and lives don’t wrap up into nice neat little packages.  As I’ve been praying this week with these scriptures, it strikes me that I’m leaving here with a lot of seeds still in the ground.  I say that about these two parish communities, I say that about many of the individuals and families who I’ve been privileged to serve in their more fragile, transparent moments, and I say that about myself: my priesthood, my discipleship.


And that’s not to say that I haven’t seen any sprouting: I’ve seen some marvelous things spring up here and it would be impossible for me to over-use the word privilege to describe how I’ve been placed to accompany and nurture people as some amazing new fruit has been born in their lives.  And I’ll always be grateful for the ways in which this place has drawn priesthood out of me, for my renewed appreciation of the beauty and the sacrifice of family life, for the way that people’s hunger for the sacraments and the fervor of the convert and the re-vert refuels my own zeal and awe at what God does for us, for the ways I’ve been brought to the dead, the dying and the bereaved, and trusted to proclaim resurrection, and as I hear my own words re-echo had my own hope strengthened.  Truly, there is blooming a-plenty in this place.

But, even more, there are seeds in our ground.  And that’s not a bad thing, because we know God gives the growth.  It’s a hard thing, because we’re by nature impatient (which is a problem) and because we truly hunger to see the good things God gives (which is a grace).  It’s hard to see only soil when we were created to live in a lush garden.  But, God is acting, He’s bringing us back there.  It’s hard to walk by faith and not by sight, as St. Paul puts it.  But we’re not walking alone.  God has acted to bring us together as Church to walk together, to walk with Christ as our goal and our guide, and all the saints with him.  We walk it with St. Paul, with St. Stanislaus, who knew that walking the Church’s walk was far from easy, we walk it with our cross, but we know that cross is “Holy.”

And as we await the fullness of growth, the bright light of day, we give thanks for the dawn’s first light by which we can walk.  And we’ll do that a lot better if our eyes are open to what we’re looking for.  Ezekiel, the Israelite priest-prophet who saw his Temple destroyed by the Babylonians, who lost everything and was exiled, and was very realistic about the place sin, his and his compatriots’, had played in their downfall, tells a tale in our first reading of hope, of restoration, of grace in the face of desolation.  He tells of a sprig being plucked, torn, broken off: a violent act of sacrifice, but one that opens the way to a great reversal.  This twig becomes a mighty cedar, a cedar which miraculously bears fruit: its grandeur going beyond nature and serving the purpose of nourishment, satisfying the hungry, and providing room for every bird in its branches.

It’s a grand hope of restoration for a downtrodden people.  One that trusts no misfortune is too great for God to reverse, one that hopes not just for grandeur but for food and shelter for all.  It’s a hope that formed Jesus’ imagination, and that he re-presents to his disciples in this discourse, but with a shift.  He imagines (and so promises) a time of universal provision of food and shelter, drawing on that image again of there being room for all the birds of the air in its boughs.  But, he doesn’t talk of cedars any more, but bushes.  Now, as bushes go, the mustard bush is the largest in the Levant, but it’s still a bush, and bushes aren’t as impressive as trees.  Would anyone travel to see the mighty red bushes of California?  But, Jesus eschews the cedar for the bush.


The kingdom of God does not replicate the kind of greatness human nations build for themselves.  God did not send a might muscular military Messiah, even though that was precisely what many were looking for, longing for.  He loved us too much for that.  So, he sent us a suffering servant.


No comments:

Post a Comment