Sunday, September 10, 2017

God appoints us as watchmen to bring us forgiveness – Ezek 33:7-9, Matt 18:15-20

Twenty-third Sunday of Ordinary Time; Holy Infant parish.

Ezekiel was an exile, a displaced person.  He was an Israelite living in Babylon, because the Babylonians had come to Jerusalem, destroyed it, destroyed God’s house, the Temple, in its midst and forced them on the long march East to Babylon.  The people were bereft of the only ways they’d known God: the Temple, the kingship, the Land.  But, God did not desert them.  The people would discover that in their exile, God was in their midst too.  Just as, centuries later, the Church, bereft of Christ’s humane presence, would discover that wherever two or three gathered in his name, he was there. 


One way in which God’s presence became real for them was in the prophets God called. God calls Ezekiel to serve as a watchman.  A watchman, stationed on a high wall or a watchtower, has two jobs: they must be attentive to all that’s going on, and they have to convey the truth of his observations accurately and broadly.  In the book of Proverbs, we read that God himself is a watchman, keeping us under his watchful eye and crying out the truth of his love and mercy.  God shared his own mission with a human, sharing part of himself with Ezekiel.  And the stakes are high: for Ezekiel, his life must be the faithful exercise of God’s commission, watching and telling; if he flinches, he loses his life.  The rewards are great too.  We only read a snippet from Ezekiel at Mass today, reading on just a few verses we find the promise of life for those who turn from evil, we hear God prophetically pronounce what the future has in store: that the people turn, their sins are forgiven, justice and right are done and then, and lo! (he exclaims) you shall live!


When St. Gregory the Great, a monk who was made Pope, read these words from Ezekiel, he understood them as directed very personally to himself. Not in prideful way, actually more in a mournful, yet hopeful, way. He preached once:

How hard it is for me to say this, for by these very words I denounce myself.  I do not live my life according to my own preaching. I do not deny my responsibility; I recognize that I am slothful and negligent, but perhaps the acknowledgement of my fault will win me pardon from my just judge.  Who am I to be watchman, for I do not stand on the mountain of action but lie down in the valley of weakness?  Truly the all-powerful Creator and Redeemer of humanity can give me in spite of my weakness a higher life and effective speech; because I love him, I do not spare myself in speaking of him.

“Because I love him, I do not spare myself in speaking of him.”  Gregory says this of God, but he could also have said it of neighbor.  “Because I love, I do not spare myself in reaching out to them, in sharing the truth in love with them, of challenging them when they need challenge.” 

But we do, we each do.  I say we, because, we, the baptized, have been anointed in our baptism, priest, prophet and shepherd/servant/king.  It is not just Ezekiel who has been appointed watchman, it’s not just Ezekiel and Gregory, or Pope Francis and Bishop Zarama or the parish staff who are watchmen.  It’s the baptized.  It’s the Church.  God has shared his mission, part of himself, with us. 

That’s, in essence, what we heard from Jesus in the Gospel. This speech we heard was not just given to select apostles.  “Jesus said to his disciples.”  All of them.  Jesus lifts us up and puts us on a watchtower, asks us to watch, and asks us to speak out.

We’re raised there because that’s part of how God wants to extend forgiveness to the world, wants to reconcile the world to Himself, to bring us to live wholly and holily with him.  This recipe for bringing an erring sister or brother through repentance to forgiveness, is only part of a longer speech Jesus gives, commonly called the community discourse.  It begins with gathering the children to himself and encouraging us all to become like them, vulnerable.  It goes on to talk about the shepherd who searches out the lost sheep and goes on to talk of forgiving seventy times seven times.  And in between, we have this.  This call to be watchmen. 


To be watchmen, and to recognize that we’re surrounded by watchmen. To listen, of course, to the Pope and our bishop; to listen too to those little ones Jesus puts at the center; to listen to those our world would shun from the center. To listen to the displaced, like Ezekiel. To listen to the ones we think are lost! And to trust, that in our listening, our watching and our speaking, God is bringing us home, God is bringing us to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment