Sunday, February 10, 2019

Jesus calls us – Luke 5:1-11

5th Sunday of OT, Year C; Holy Infant Parish.


Do you wonder why, at the start of this reading, Peter isn’t listening to Jesus? There’s a whole crowd pressing in to listen to him speak, speak the word of God, but Peter is sitting a ways off, having gotten out of his fishing boat and he’s sitting there tending to his nets. It probably isn’t that Peter doesn’t know who Jesus is. The way Luke tells it, Jesus had healed Peter’s mother-in-law the day before, and when Jesus talks to him, Peter does seem to know him. It seems that Peter genuinely believes himself to be too busy to put down his nets and listen to Jesus.


And maybe he is. He’s been working all night, it’s morning now, and the nets need tending to before going home to rest. He’s tired, he’s had a lousy night at work, catching nothing, he might be starting to worry about his livelihood, he needs to do whatever it is you do with nets before he can clock off and get some rest before starting fishing again that evening. He has to choose between listening to Jesus and getting his work done. But, Jesus doesn’t leave him with that dilemma. Jesus comes to him. He doesn’t abandon the crowd, he finishes whatever he was telling them, but then he goes to Simon Peter. And he knows that Peter is busy with fishing. So, he says to him, let’s go fishing.

So, they do, and there’s an amazing catch of fish. A spontaneous, gracious gift from God. And we can’t really know why God decided to give that gift then. It’s not that having Jesus in the boat is some kind of magical fish magnet. I’m sure we all know that having Jesus in our lives doesn’t mean that everyone suddenly gets easier and our nets are full of fish. So often, Jesus stands alongside us, sharing in our hunger. But, this time, the nets got filled. Sometimes God just gives gifts like that because God is gracious, and the fullness, the abundance of the heavenly banquet does sometimes spill over into little foretastes in the here and now of that abundance. I don’t think, but we can’t know, it was a calculated inducement for Peter to start following Jesus: part golden handshake, part bribe. I don’t think that that’s how God works. But I do wonder if maybe it was a kind of test. Not a trap. But that God genuinely wanted to try Peter out and see how he reacted to this.


His reaction is certainly strong. He’s seized with astonishment. And he cries out, “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” Depart from me. They’re in a small fishing boat on a lake at this point. What does he expect Jesus to do? Walk on water? Maybe. Maybe. Maybe Peter gets it. Or, maybe half gets it. And that’s about par for the course for Peter prior to Pentecost. But, Jesus grades on a curve and half-getting it, it turns out, is pretty dang good. Peter gets who Jesus is. Could he now recite the Creed and spell “consubstantial”? No, it’s not that kind of getting it. It’s the kind of getting it that in the heat of the moment, in an excited utterance, reveals that he knows Jesus can walk on water. He gets Jesus’ holiness. He gets something of Jesus’ divinity. But he only half gets it, because he doesn’t find that comforting, but terrifying.

He finds it terrifying because all the more clearly he sees in contrast his own lack of holiness. He sees his sin. It’s like if you’ve just touched something really hot, lukewarm water will feel cold. He feels chillingly sinful and he knows that holiness cannot abide sin, and he’s scared he’ll be burned up if he stays close to Jesus. And he’s even half right here, so maybe he gets 75% overall, because yes, he is cold in comparison with Jesus’ warmth, that fiery furnace of charity, and yes, holiness cannot abide sin. But, what Peter doesn’t yet get is that holiness lovers sinners. And holiness that’s combined with the power of God casts out sin, cleanses, calls, wills us to be with Him. So, Jesus refuses to leave. He’ll only walk on water to walk towards Peter, never to walk away. Jesus calls. And then Peter starts to get it more. He gets that Jesus has a mission for him, a mission that means leaving his nets behind, those nets that just a little bit earlier had kept him from hearing the word of God. Soon, he’ll consent to preach it.

Friends, I don’t know which of us are called to leave our nets behind and which aren’t. I know a lot of us are busy, with school, work, family. But as to Peter, Jesus comes to us when we’re busy with our nets and says, “let’s go fishing.” Post-Ascension, Jesus is ready to be with each of us in our work, in our school, in our families. And acknowledging his presence, asking for his help, giving thanks; none of that means we’ll automatically get a huge catch of fish. But it might help us be aware of his holiness. It might help us be aware of our own sin. And it might change how we look at our work.

Many of you know that I was a teacher before I entered seminary. It was really letting Jesus into my classroom, praying about my experience teaching that led me see what was fundamentally right about how I was in relationship with my students, and what was missing, what more he was calling me to. And there was a point where I can had to swallow some pride and stop using me unworthiness, my sin as an excuse to not let myself be called. That led me, step by step, to embrace a call to vowed religious life in the Congregation of Holy Cross, to priestly ordination and to now embarking on my ‘vocation within the vocation’ as a priest-scholar-teacher. I haven’t quite walked away from my nets, I’ve just learnt I need a different kind of boat.  I don’t know what Jesus is calling each of you to do with your nets, but I know he’s calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment