Sunday, April 19, 2015

Announcement I made after all Masses this weekend

Some of you may know that I was originally sent here on a two year assignment.  Well, you've all been putting up with me for almost two years now, and our Provincial Superior has announced that my assignment here will not be renewed.  So, I'll be moving on this summer.  I won't be going too far: just a couple of miles up the road to Notre Dame.  I'll be spending next year applying to PhD programs in New Testament, taking some classes to help me prepare and helping out a little on campus.

It's been our discernment for a while that I'm called to serve the Church and the world as a priest through scholarship and teaching.  I asked to begin my ordained life in a parish context, as I thought that would be a wonderful context in which to have priesthood first drawn out of me.  It has been.  I will leave with a lot of gratitude for all that has happened here.  These parish communities will always have a very special place in my heart, and I will continue to hold you all in prayer, and I ask you to do the same for me.

One final note: on Monday, I leave for a couple of weeks vacation.  I don't want you to hear I'm not around and think that I announced my departure and then right away packed my bags!  I'll be back in a couple of weeks, through the end of our parish school year and a little bit beyond, but then I'll move up the road.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment