Sunday, August 25, 2019

Christ leads us up the mountain – Luke 13:2-30; Isa 66:18-21

21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C; Holy Infant parish.


I don’t know how many of you have climbed a mountain. If you haven’t, spoiler alert, it’s quite difficult. And I’ve never done any of what they call “technical climbing,” where you actually need ropes and harnesses and things, but I have made it to the top of Pike’s Peak, one of the many 14,000-foot-high mountains in Colorado. If you want to walk it, as I did, you start at an altitude of around 7,000 feet, and over the course of walking 14 miles, you ascend the other 7,000 to make it up to 14. Between 11,000 and 12,000 feet is what they call the tree line. That’s the altitude above which no trees grow. One of the many realizations I had on that walk was that the trees are probably a good deal smarter than we are. Air that low in oxygen is really hard to walk through. The whole climb took me about seven hours, but the last mile, over which we climbed almost 1,000 feet, took me an hour. Now, Pike’s Peak also has a Cog railway that you can take to the summit, as well as a road. You can drive up. And at the top, is a little café and gift shop. All I remember about the café is that they served chili, and, at that moment, the chili was the best thing I’d ever tasted.


I mention this, because whenever I hear visions, prophecies, promises, like the one we heard form Isaiah as our first reading, passages that involve mountains, I remember my time on Pikes. Isaiah has this gospel vision of people coming from all over and streaming up Mount Zion. This is his grand vision of the consummation of all things, that after a time of judgment (which is in the verses just before we started reading), all peoples, not just Jews will stream up the Lord’s Mountain. They will come to witness God’s glory, they will come to worship, they will come to offer sacrifice (which will mean feasting), and – most radically, almost scandalously – Isaiah suggests that God will select priests not just from among the house of Levi, not just from the Jewish people, but from the whole gathered assembly of humanity.

And when I hear something like that, I think of two things. Firstly, I think of just how good that chili tasted after seven hours of climbing. I hope you can feel that in your bones, in your stomachs, in your mouths. Taste food that truly satisfies a real hunger. That’s what the world to come tastes like. Or, rather, that’s a pale unseasoned imitation of what the world to come tastes like. We build up our hope, we build up our desire for salvation, our zeal for sanctification by spending time enjoying foretastes and remembering what they’re foretastes of. Salivate your way towards holiness. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.

But, my time on Pikes makes me think of something else too. It makes me feel something else in my bones, in my legs, in my lungs. It makes me feel how arduous it is to climb a mountain. Jesus gets that. It’s hard. It’s beautiful, but it’s hard. I mean, Jesus has some mountain climbing experience, maybe a little more than Isaiah had, I don’t know. When Jesus talks in our gospel about the narrow gate, he’s saying, it’s hard. It’s not a closed gate, but it’s a narrow gate. It’s not a 7,000-foot leap, but it’s a 7,000-foot elevation gain over 14 miles of walking at altitude. The life of faith is hard. When I first saw that this was the reading this week, especially after we also had a hard gospel about division last week, I thought, “oh, no, I really wanted some straight up good news to preach this week.” But I’ve got to believe that there are people here who need to hear this, who need to hear, “It’s hard. I get it. It’s hard for me too.”

It’s hard to be holy. It’s hard to be loving. It’s hard to love people when they’re annoying, when they’re wrong, when they’re our enemies. It’s hard to love God when He seems to be sleeping during the storm. It’s hard. And when it’s hard, taste that chili in your head. Salivate your way to love, to holiness, to the table in the kingdom of God where the hungry will be filled.

The people that stream towards the Mountain in Isaiah’s vision do that, he tells us, because they’ve seen signs, signs that God has planted in their midst. As well as the hope, the anticipation, the hunger that drives us, we need to look for those signs too, because God has planted them in our midst. At the end of every day, one of the things I ask is, what did I see today? What did I see of God’s goodness today? And where did I see Jesus today? Because Jesus has made this journey. The beginning of our gospel reminds us that Jesus was on a journey when he was asked that question. Jesus was journeying to Jerusalem to suffer and die for us. And because of that, here in this place, at this Mass, we witness Christ’s sacrifice at Calvary re-presented to us.

We’re in this in-between time, because we know that mountaintop came down and dwelt among us. But we also know we’re still climbing. Think of Dr. King’s final speech, the mountaintop speech. He talked towards the end of that of all the signs of hope he saw in the midst of a sick world. And he described having seen those in this biblically rich language, “I’ve been to the mountaintop.” That’s why he kept climbing.

Friends, taste and see the goodness of the Lord. And let’s keep climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment