Sunday, August 26, 2018

God shows His love in our relationships – Eph 5:21-32

21st Sunday in OT, Year B; Holy Infant parish.

I don’t usually do this, but I’m going to ask for a show of hands on this one. How many of you had today’s second reading at your wedding? In my experience, about 25% of couples choose it (the majority go for “love is patient, love is kind” from 1 Corinthians for their 2nd reading, but this one from Eph 5 definitely comes in second in popularity; when I had to plan a fake wedding for our liturgical celebration class in seminary, I picked “God is love” from 1 John… if you’re planning a wedding, maybe think about it). You’ve probably noticed that I don’t normally preach on the reading from Paul at Sunday Mass (I most often preach on the Gospel, sometimes on the Old Testament reading; I preach Paul a lot more at daily Mass), but this reading is one of the rare readings that I think you have to preach on if it’s proclaimed, because this language of submission is just kind of, if I’m being honest, uncomfortable. It discomforted me when I began praying with these readings a week ago to prepare myself to preach, and I think I owe it to you wrestle with that out loud for a while and not just leave it hanging. But before I get to that language, I want to look at this reading more broadly.


What I think probably motivates a lot of those couples who choose this for weddings to do so, where I think Paul is really at his most brilliant here, is that he uses marriage to talk about Christ’s love for the Church and he uses Christ’s love for the Church to talk about marriage. The brilliance, the good news, goes in both directions here. Paul is telling us that human relationships matter. That marriage is part of how God shows the world what love looks like. Yes, ultimately, the most perfect way God ever did that was on the cross on Calvary Hill, and at Mass we witness that sacrifice truly as God re-presents to us Christ’s sacrifice in the Eucharistic Prayer. But that’s not the same as it would have been for us to actually see Jesus willingly let himself be crucified for love of us. As humans we need concrete material expressions to show us what love looks like. And marriage is one of the ways God gives us to let us glimpse that. And that sounds like a lot to ask of married couples, and it is. That’s why I always point out at weddings that the couple is surrounded, and thereby held: family and friends in front of them, bridal party either side, me as the Church’s witness behind and the crucifix and (normally tabernacle) behind me. We don’t go to weddings (I hope) just for the cake. We go to pledge our support to help this couple as they seek to live out Christ’s love. And we do that knowing Christ is doing that. Marriage is certainly not the only human relationship that can witness to God’s love. Religious orders do that, each in their own way, and really all friendship is capable of doing that. I once preached a junior high graduation Mass in which the first reading was about marriage, and I commented that it seemed odd, but really it was appropriate, because, like marriage, the friendships that had been fostered over nine years of grade school really did disclose to me something of God’s love.

The other brilliant move is to say that Christ’s love for us, for the Church is marriage-like. Christ isn’t some distant, one-and-done, “I died for you, prepared a place for you, see you when you get to heaven!” kind of savior. He continues to nourish and cherish us, Paul says, as if we were his own body, as a spouse. And these two insights are connected. Christ’s nourishing and cherishing of us, Christ’s washing of us in the water and the word, that’s precisely what forms us to be able to show the love with which we’re loved with the love with which we love. Christ loves us into loving, and that’s active, and that’s not just some vague feeling, but is realized in the nitty gritty day to day of our lives. It’s realized in an embrace, it’s realized in putting the dishes away, it’s realized in forgiveness, it’s realized in commitment, and (and this takes us back to what’s uncomfortable in this text), it’s realized in submission.


Note that the start of this passage tells everyone to be subordinate, one to another. It’s reciprocal. Paul then repeats that advice is repeated specifically for wives, but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t think husbands should subordinate themselves to their wives too. He’s just said that everyone is to subordinate themselves to one another. He then adds an extra bit for husbands, that they’re to love in this self-sacrificial manner.  Now, earlier in the letter (in a part we didn’t read together at Mass), Paul told all Christians to live lives of love. He certainly expected wives to be loving too. But he gives extra directives for husbands here, because they had the power. They had more power to give up, so he told them to do it, to sacrifice it as an act of love. 

Part of self-sacrificial love is recognizing our privilege and our power, which works in all kinds of ways, some very subtle.  Almost two thousand years since that letter was written and gender is still a huge part of who has that power and privilege to give up in love. But it’s not the only part. Seeking out the lost, the excluded and the marginalized is essential to loving like Christ.


I think what first disquiets me about this reading is that Paul emphasizes one thing for the wives and something else for the husbands. But when we read it in the context of the whole letter (and it’s only six chapters long, I’d invite you to do that in one sitting), we see that this is only emphasis: Paul calls everyone, wives, husbands, and all the unmarried, to mutual self-sacrificial love and mutual submission. What disquiets me more is that we all have to do that. See that cross? We have to love like that. What gives me hope, is that that’s precisely how Christ is loving us.

No comments:

Post a Comment