Sunday, January 14, 2018

God shows us loving dwelling – John 1:3b-10, 19

2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year B; Holy Infant parish.

There are some questions that don’t allow for short answers, that open things up that can’t be simply put back in their can. “Harry, how was it you got that scar again?” “Ishmael, did you ever happen to meet a ship’s captain, name of Ahab?” “What an interesting piece of jewelry around your neck, Frodo!” Well, when the disciples ask Jesus, “where are you staying?” that ends up being one of those questions too, whose answer is very much longer than the question.


These are the first words spoken to Jesus in John’s gospel and, in a sense, the whole rest of the gospel is answer to that question. Now, it’s not an episode of Cribs. These soon-to-be-disciples may well have just been interested in Jesus’ temporary lodgings, but Jesus hears a much deeper question in there. That word that we have translated ‘staying’ – μενω – that’s a perfectly accurate translation, perfectly prosaic, for what I’m sure was a prosaic question, but that word occurs again and again in John’s gospel, and is translated in many different ways. Five chapters later, Jesus will use that verb and when we hear that gospel passage (this summer) we’ll hear the English word ‘endure.’ “Do not work for food that perishes, but for food that endures for eternal life.” Sometimes it’ll be ‘remains.’  In that same chapter 6, “if you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you will remain in me and I remain in you.” Later, “if you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples.” “Remain in my love.” Sometimes, it’s ‘dwells.’ “The Father dwells in me.” “The Spirit dwells in you.”

These novice disciples might think they’re asking a simple question, but the answer extends through some of the most beautiful promises and challenging summonses of the gospel. The root of it all is the close loving union between Father, Son and Spirit, who remain with each other, dwell with each other. “Stay” wouldn’t really work here, because it sounds kind of temporary. God the Father doesn’t just ‘stay’ with Jesus, as if they’re roommates. No, the bond between Father, Son and Spirit is the Love from which all love takes its name. Before there was time (and I know you can’t say ‘before’ without time, but that’s how out of our ability to grasp this is), before there was time, God was Love. Saint Gregory of Nazianzus talked about the divine perichoresis, the godly dancing around each other that might be the closest human language can come to naming what’s going on between Father, Son and Spirit.


“You want to see where I dwell? Come and see.” Jesus says. Come and see. Come and see what love looks like. This electrifying tango, virtuoso pas de deux, which loses nothing of tenderness. Persons relating to persons as persons are meant to, delighting in one another, exuberantly and gently. And it’s not just an invitation to look from a distance. “Remain in me as I remain in you.” “Remain in my love.” Jesus comes to invite us into that dance, into that love whose sparks set us aflame. That’s another reason why ‘stay’ wouldn’t really work as a translation, because while Jesus dwells with God the Father, he doesn’t stay with Him in any sense that would present him coming to us.

“If you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you will dwell with me.” He comes here, on this altar to invite us to this feast. And he comes here to invite us to delight in one another, to start to step into that dance in the here and now, and every part of our lives. Because in heaven, living love always looks like an amazing joy that we can’t even fathom now, and here on earth living love sometimes looks like a foretaste of that. But love isn’t love only when it’s pleasant. Love is at its loveliest when it’s hard. “Come and see.” “See how I love my betrayer. See how I love you when you run from me. See how I love the ones who shed my blood.”

Love is at its most brilliant when we are too overwhelmed with love for the other to have time to stop and think about ourselves. And sometimes that looks like the giddy abandon of joining the dance. And sometimes it looks much harder than that.

As this country remembers Dr. King this weekend, I think of his love, and the love he dreamed of. He dreamed of a love powerful enough to have different faces. I’m sure we all know his dream of “little black boys and black girls [joining] hands with little white boys and white girls.” The dancing around kind of love. But this week I sat down to read a different sermon of his (I tried to read a new one each year around this time), this one was about the Good Samaritan. He cut right to the heart of that parable, I think, when he said of the priest and the Levite (the ones who don’t stop to help the man who’s been robbed and left for dead in the ditch), “their first question is, what will happen to me if I help this man?” But the Samaritan, his question is “what will happen to this man if I don’t help him?”


That’s love. That’s where Jesus dwells. That’s where he comes to call us.

No comments:

Post a Comment