Sunday, January 21, 2018

Jesus moves us – Mark 1:14-20

3rd Week of OT, Year B; Holy Infant.

I know someone who fell in love while dancing to a Beatles song, but not exactly to the person she was dancing with. Let me back up. When I was at Notre Dame, one Spring break I led a bunch of students on a trip to spend a week at a L’Arche house. L’Arche houses are places community where people with and without intellectual disabilities live and work together as peers, creating communities of faith and friendship. I taught a class where for the first half of the semester, we studied the L’Arche movement and the spiritual and theological principles that undergird it, then we spent Spring break living it and the rest of the semester unpacking that experience. One of my students told me afterwards that she was going to apply to spend a year living as part of one of their communities. “I still want to be an attorney,” she told me. “I still want to help people professionally in that way, maybe run for office someday, but I need more of this first.” “Can you expand that, what’s ‘this’ for you?” I asked her. And that’s when she told me about the Beatles song. We’d been in the kitchen, preparing dinner. The student had shown up a minute or so late to the work shift, and there wasn’t really anything for her to do, all the tasks had been assigned. She told me how frustrating this was, as she’d come here to help people, but then that opening harmonica riff of “Love, love me do” came on the radio, and one of the core members (the community members with intellectual disabilities), asked her to dance. It was while dancing that she realized that there’s something more fundamental than helping people, and that’s loving, loving life, loving people. I encouraged her to remember that moment of clarity, that delightful dance, whether that be through journaling, telling her story to others, sketching it, whatever works for her, because things won’t always feel that naturally easy, even if objectively they’ll still be just as beautiful.


I wonder if anyone told the disciples to treasure that moment when Jesus called them. That moment when it was so easy for them to drop their nets and follow. Mark isn’t really concerned to dwell on their psychological state, to wonder what made them so ready to follow someone they didn’t know. But they did. And they did so freely, Jesus doesn’t force anything out of them. But, somehow, his presence is so compelling that they follow. What must have been burning in their hearts to fuel that kind of daring action?

And it’s wonderful that we start there. In Mark’s gospel, this is the beginning of Jesus’ public ministry. Mark narrates the baptism, then the temptation in the wilderness, then goes straight to this calling of disciples. Over the next few weeks before Lent, we’ll hear more of the early days of Jesus’ ministry, and it’ll be success story after success story: first the calling of the disciples, then a series of healings. And that is a wonderful place to start, to be reminded both of what an amazingly compelling presence Jesus and that humans were able to have their hearts and feet moved by this. Because even in these disciples, we know that found it within themselves to hold back at times. Mark will point out again and again in his gospel that Jesus’ disciples didn’t get it during his earthly ministry, were especially slow to understand Jesus’ predictions of his Passion, and when the Passion actually began, ran and scattered.

We find this too. I hope we’ve all had times in our lives both when things felt completely right, when our hearts and our feet were moved, and we know Jesus is close and doing amazing things. When we feel like that, we need to cherish it. Because it won’t always feel like that. If it didn’t always for St. Peter, we shouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t for us. And there are things we can do to try to hold on to those moments that God gives us. First is just identifying them. Maybe they’re obvious to you, but often they talk some reflection to draw out. One of the first exercises we do as novices, as new member in my religious order, the Congregation of Holy Cross, is to write a spiritual autobiography, a history of our life to that point with attention to the movements of the Spirit, and I learnt a lot, about myself and about God, from being made to write out what I thought was already in my head. The next step is to cherish them. To work out what that looks like for each of us. Maybe it’s being attentive to anniversaries, but it’s revisiting important places, like the spot you got engaged or married. I know for me, whenever I’m back in our basilica at the center of Notre Dame’s campus, where I both professed my perpetual vows and later was ordained priest, walking over the spot where I knelt for both those actions remind me of the wonder and amazement of those, the sense of being so closely held and supported, not that I might always feel cozy, but that I might be deeply rooted enough that I could reach out. It’s refreshing, it renews me.


Today, we’re celebrating the Sunday liturgy (anticipated), but that doesn’t stop it from still being January 20th, the feast day of the founder of my religious order, Blessed Basil Moreau. Moreau founded Holy Cross is post-revolution France to breathe new life into parish life and Christian education. He was insistent that Holy Cross was to be formed on the model of a family. The Jesuits, for instance, were founded by Ignatius of Loyola, the ex-soldier, on the model of the military because he knew that model was great for getting things done. But, Moreau knew that post-revolution government was pretty good at getting things done, and what France (and the other countries he wanted to expand to) needed was a model of something more humane, more loving, more familial. I think that maybe his greatest moment of feeling this compelling presence of Jesus was in his family home growing up. He didn’t stay there, he couldn’t, but through founding and nurturing Holy Cross he kept that alive, he shared and sustained that moment, just as it sustained him, even when things were very difficult. May Christ help us to do the same. Bl. Basile Moreau, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment